Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/HWH exhaust in cold air return.

Hi Joe-

Bought a "flipped" house that was a bank repo and fixed up. Appears that originally it had hot water/steam heat and when the house was gutted switched to forced air.

Was getting ready to paint a bedroom and took off the cold air return grill and saw what I think is the exhaust vent for the hot water heater as it is a galvanized looking pipe about 3-4" in diameter and lines up with the hot water heater in the basement.

Found out who did the plumbing and talked to them. They said it was one straight piece and double walled so there is no carbon monoxide concerns. I find it odd that any type of exhaust would be in a cold air return due to the chance of a leak no matter how many walls the pipe has. The house was inspected by the city while the remodel was going on but thought I would get a second opinion from you.

Seriously doubt that is approved by any codes , I would contact your town permit department and ask them about it. First I ever heard of that . Your suppose to vent into a chimney , or power vent outside from the basement .  What type of return duct are you using , a dedicated metal duct and they tapped into your duct ? You may want to send several photos  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

40+ years diversified experience.An HVAC/Refrigeration Self Employed Contractor since 1986. NATE Certifield. Answer questions pertaining to Residential and Commercial Air Conditioning , Warm Air Heating, Heat Pump systems.Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting of these systems.Be as detailed as possible when describing problem.Packaged unit or split systems.No appliance questions.

Installation and Troubleshooting, Mechanical and Electrical, in following areas, Refrigeration ( Walk In and Reach In Coolers and Freezers ) Commercial Roof Top and Packaged Heating/Cooling ( Natural Gas,Propane, Electric, and Heat Pumps ) Computer Room Air Conditoning Systems,Commercial Residential Packaged and Split Systems Air Conditoning and Heat Pumps.Warm Air Oil , Natural and Propane Gas Heating systems.

Graduated from Private Technical School in 1975. An HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor . Have Unlimited Heating/Piping and Cooling Contractor License.Limited Sheetmetal Contractors License.NATE Certifield. York Certifield Master Heat Pump Technician 1986. Served 33 years combination Active Duty Air Force , Air Force Reserves and Air National Guard in the HVAC/Refrigeration Shop/Mechanical Shop. Troubleshooting/Installing HVAC/Refrigeration Equiptment Worldwide. Retiring in 2003 as a Senior NCO ,and a Mechanical Superintendent.