Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Adding a hot water baseboard loop to a steam boiler

I have a steam furnace (plate indicating BTU info is missing) that I would like to replace. The house has 2 floors and a basement. The 2 floors are heated by cast iron radiators (except the bathrooms that have 2" pipe 8 ft high). The basement has hot water (from furnace) circulating thru slant-fin type radiators.

My contractor said I only have to be concerned with the EDR for the 2 floors radiators and not the basement in calculating the BTU for the new furnace. Is this correct?

Your contractor should use the manufacturer's directions for correctly sizing the boiler to the connected load imposed by the radiation and piping and required pick-up factors.  Having done this he can design a hot water baseboard heating system within reason without adding size to the boiler.  Often the boiler manufacturer will provide guidelines on this type of piping system in their install guide.  Basement zones will certainly be more than adequately served with this method.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Mike Reavis

Questions related to "Wet Heat". This is heating your home, office etc. with radiators, panels, and convector apparatus. Steam and water heat. I can answer questions about boilers, piping,and associated parts of these systems. Please do not ask for specific information about how I feel about one boiler, etc. over another--These questions should be directed to a licensed contractor that you know of, or that your neighbors and colleagues look to to provide solutions.

I have 20 plus years experience, which has lead to passing my state master HVAC license.

Completed college

I work on the manufacturer's side of the business currently