Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/converting freon type

Question
My home took a lightning strike and damaged both of my Trane XE1000 heat pumps systems. These units are 17 years old. My hvac man bid and stated that the units needed to be replaced due to parts not being readily avail. My insurance company is stating that these units can be converted to the newer Freon type by ordering conversion kits that are available online. My hvac guy is saying that that is not wise to do. I'm wanting to know if these units are converted to the newer Freon type could this cause other problems since the units were originally designed for a different Freon type? I'm arguing with the insurance over replacement. Thank you for your thoughts and time.

Answer
Gary,

I never heard of a conversion kit, if you want to go to the new refrigerant , you would need to replace the complete outdoor unit , the complete indoor unit (  doubt Trane makes just the coil any more ) and it's advisable to change the existing line set. Some Contractors reuse the old line set , by flushing it. If you reuse the existing line set it would have to be sized correctly for the new unit. If the line is not sized correctly, then you would need to change that also. You should get other opinions from Contractors , does not cost anything.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe