Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Lennox Control Board xp13 030 230 01

Called a/c repairman  because fan stopped on outside unit. He said it was capacitor. Replaced it (it is smaller in size than one he pulled) but still fan would not come on.

He then said it was the control board. He spliced the y1 wire to a red wire and unit worked. Waiting for new board to come in mail. Since he has done this the compressor shuts off at hottest time of day...usually around 1 p.m. when sun is right over house.

I have shaded it and removed panels and cleaned any debris from coil as well as around unit. When I hose it down or shut it off for 15 minutes or so the air returns to cool as compressor comes back on.

Would the control board cause this to happen?  He is insistent that their is nothing wrong with compressor.

I ordered a board but the sodder(sp) was bad and of course they would not replace. So had to order another, from different company.

A/C guy wanted to charge me $250 for board when they are online for $73 to $90 and, of course, charge me for his time...time and time again.

Any advice would be appreciated while I wait for board to come in.

Thank you.

You can bypass the control board , so no the board should not be at fault. This is a Heat Pump ?  If he bypassed the board correctly , and you positively cleaned the outdoor coil , then to me either the fan motor RPM is not turning the correct RPM ,or possible the motor is stopping ( tripping on internal overload ) and the compressor trips on a high limit. If you system worked fine last year at the same outdoor temperature and you never had to add refrigerant , then I would lean toward the motor. The capacitor needs to be the exact same size . You do not mention the age of the unit, certainly if it's old the motor could easily be far as your cost vs his for the board there is a lot of overhead running a successful business.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

40+ years diversified experience.An HVAC/Refrigeration Self Employed Contractor since 1986. NATE Certifield. Answer questions pertaining to Residential and Commercial Air Conditioning , Warm Air Heating, Heat Pump systems.Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting of these systems.Be as detailed as possible when describing problem.Packaged unit or split systems.No appliance questions.

Installation and Troubleshooting, Mechanical and Electrical, in following areas, Refrigeration ( Walk In and Reach In Coolers and Freezers ) Commercial Roof Top and Packaged Heating/Cooling ( Natural Gas,Propane, Electric, and Heat Pumps ) Computer Room Air Conditoning Systems,Commercial Residential Packaged and Split Systems Air Conditoning and Heat Pumps.Warm Air Oil , Natural and Propane Gas Heating systems.

Graduated from Private Technical School in 1975. An HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor . Have Unlimited Heating/Piping and Cooling Contractor License.Limited Sheetmetal Contractors License.NATE Certifield. York Certifield Master Heat Pump Technician 1986. Served 33 years combination Active Duty Air Force , Air Force Reserves and Air National Guard in the HVAC/Refrigeration Shop/Mechanical Shop. Troubleshooting/Installing HVAC/Refrigeration Equiptment Worldwide. Retiring in 2003 as a Senior NCO ,and a Mechanical Superintendent.