Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Damper

Hi Craig!  I have a Goodman Dependable 92 HVAC Unit and I am having problems getting cold air to the upstairs and the downstairs is freezing.  The Unit has two zones which are in the closed position until the Unit calls for cooling in either Zone 1(Downstairs) or Zone 2(Upstairs) and then the relays light up when the Unit comes on.  I set the downstairs thermostat at 77 F and the upstairs thermostat at 73 F.  The downstairs is still blowing cold air and the temp is 70 F while the upstairs is closer to 80 F.  I suspect the damper on Zone 1 (Downstairs) is NOT shutting?  I opened the front panels on the Unit and I can't locate the damper to check if it is open or shut.  Could it be located in the crawl space?  Is it an easy fix?  Thanks for your help!

I would imagine your system will work with both dampers are open.  My guess the upstairs damper is not opening.  Since I do not know what kind of set up you have, I am not sure why your system is acting up.  It also makes it nearly impossible for me to lead you in the right direction.  The dampers should be located somewhere accessible so they can be checked and repaired.  They may or may not be next to each other.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert

I have been in the HVAC field for the past 18 years. I can help with most HVAC questions. I work on commerical buildings for the most part, and have yet to find anything I could not troubleshoot and repair, when repairable. I work on small 1 ton units to a 2500 ton chiller. Troubleshoot air flow, elect, and control problems. I attend regular classes to keep up with the latest and greatest.

I work on commerical sites, hospitals, gov't buildings. I can troubleshoot just about anything in the HVAC business.

5 years trade school, VFD training classes, Liebert factory training, some York and Trane factory training.