Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/ac unit size

Question
airtemp plate
airtemp plate  
American Home Shield is telling me my unit may need to replaced. The unit is a AirTemp 1963 model 1264-01k. A load test was done that states I need a 2.5 ton unit. They think my current unit is a 2 ton unit and the upgrade cost from 2 ton to  2.5 ton would cost me $3000. There is no markings on the old unit for tonnage are BTU's, so that is my question 'what is tonnage for my current unit?' I have attached a image of the plate tag...

Answer
Mike,

I do not know what the tonnage is , by the model number. You can try getting the model number and brand of the compressor and research. Its more important to have a load calculation done, if they did one and you need a 2 ton than that  is what you need. Hopefully your existing ductwork is sized correctly. Get several bids. Also cost from a 2 ton to a 2.5 ton for a contractor is minimal. Even the Air handler. Possible when they quoted the 2.5 ton at costing you $3000.00 more, maybe that also included ductwork  modifications. There is no such thing as one size fits all systems ductwork. Is this a one piece packaged unit? ,if this is a split system you can try getting the model number of the air handler and research, also if you have a TEV/TXV metering device it may be stamped on the metering device the tonnage of that valve.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe