Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Evaporator coil leak

Question
Marcus,
Thank you for your time!  I have a 14 year old central heat and air unit.  For the second time in 2 years we have had to have Freon added to our air unit. The repairman said that the Freon leak is in the evaporator coil.  We are waiting on an estimate to see how much it will cost to replace the coil.  I expect that it will be a lot (even-though our repair company is very reasonable).  My question is would it be better to repair the coil or better in the long run to replace the unit.  Thank you!

Answer
Tanya,
     I think you should consider replacing the unit . The coil likely will be at minimum $500 to $1200 plus depending on the unit . Your unit is past the average life expectancy of a residential unit . Because it is a major repair , I think it would be wise to apply that money towards a new unit . A new unit will likely be tremendously more efficient plus most units now have a 10 year all parts warranty when it is properly registered . http://www.airzero.com    

Marcus

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Marcus HVAC / Air Conditioning Expert