Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Air conditioner

Question
Yesterday's Temps were around 100 and I noticed the air coming out of my vents was warm when it is usually freezing. The fan on the outside unit also wasn't turning, but I could jump start it with a screwdriver. The repair man came & said it was the capacitor, replaced it, & said to give the system 12-24hrs to get back to the temp it was. Today I turned the air on & the fan did run on the outside unit for a few minutes & stopped, & the air was cold (but not as cold as before) & gradually began to lose the coldness. So was the fan bad to begin with? Did the fan AND the capacitor go bad? He showed me the capacitor & it was hot & a little bloated. Thanks for your help, the heat is hard on me due to heart problems & a pacemaker.

Answer
Tabitha,

Chances are the fan motor was bad to start with as when he changed just the capacitor it only ran for a few minutes then stopped. Need a new motor and a matching capacitor. Need to be carefull when he removes the fan blade as the tendency is the shaft may be rusted up making removal without damaging the blade more difficult.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe