Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/GOODMAN ARUF303016BA

Question
QUESTION: I HAVE MY THERMOSTAT SET ON 74. At 9:30AM THERM TEMP WAS 64. IT IS NOW 12:40PM & MY THERM TEMP IS ON 67. IS THIS NORMAL FOR A HEAT PUMP SYSTEM? IM ASSUMING THAT MY AUX HEAT IS WORKING ACCORDING TO THE "FLASHING FLAME" ICON ON MY THERMOSTAT.I HAVE A WHITE-RODGERS 1F89-211 THERMOSTAT. MY SYSTEM IS RUNNING NON-STOP. IF THIS IS NOT NORMAL, COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO CHECK? I WAS ALSO WONDERING HOW MANY HEAT STRIPS MY SYSTEM HOLDS?

ANSWER: Hi Donna, Do you leave the stat set on 74* all the time or do you set it back at night? Your furnace can hold up to 4 heat strips, if you can send a pic of the electrical compartment in the furnace I can tell you how  many you have.

What is the outside air temp? Right now the temp here in Missouri is 24* so my heat pump has been running all day and that is normal.

I would think if your heat strips are working correctly the temp should be over 70* by now.

Let me know   JIM

HEAT STRIP
HEAT STRIP  
WIRING
WIRING  
QUESTION: Yes, I leave my stat on 74* year round for the most part. The temp here yesterday was about 36*. My stat finally reached 73* about 8:30 last night. It's 32* now (9:50 AM), my stat has finally reached 74* but I'm also running 2 electric heaters.

I'm not sure if the pictures I have will help but I  Will send what I got.

Thank you!!!!!!

Ps: not sure if I did this right but maybe you can see them

ANSWER: Donna, it's hard to tell from the pic but I think you only have 1 heat strip. That would be 5kw which isn't much. First thing we need to check is to make sure the heat pump is working correctly. If you will notice in your pic there are two copper tubes going to the unit, the larger tube should be warm or even hot. Lightly touch the large tube, if it's not warm then the heat pump isn't running. If it's not running check the breaker in your electrical panel. There should be a breaker just for the heat pump.

Let me know what you find....JIM

PS, make sure the stat is calling for heat.

Goodman
Goodman  
QUESTION: Hi Jim, sorry it took so long to get back to ya. I checked copper tube and it appears that heat pump is working.

I also have cold air & warm air coming from my vents during the same cycle. Is this due to my compressor defrosting or is there something else I need to check?

I'm sending you another pic. In the pic you will see two holes close to the bottom. One of those holes is closed off and the other has white pipe coming out from it. The other two holes closest to the duct are not closed off. It looks like these two are sucking air thru them because of the dirt around the edges of them.  Is this right?

If you don't mind, I would like to send you another pic with another question

Answer
Hey Donna, I took a look at your pic, those are drain line connections. The two on the right are only used if the furnace is in the upright position. The other two are the ones that should be connected to PVC pipe. The one on the right is your normal drain and the on the left is your back up drain. They should have plugged the two on the right when they installed the furnace. You can go to Home Depot and get 3/4" plugs.

Here's what happens in defrost mode, the fan on top should stop running and compressor should continue to run. The electric heat strips should come on to prevent the furnace from blowing cold air. Sounds like your heat strips are not coming on.

BTW, is the furnace in the attic?  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim S.