Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Heat pump fan

A few weeks ago my heat pump no longer comes on. It just stopped working. With this being said the heat pump is still heating my home. I turned off my thermostat waited a few minutes and turn on the Ac. Ran out side to check and the fan is working as it should. What is causing fan not to work when the heat is on? Help please

There is a defrost board in the  outdoor condensing unit that controls the fan.  The fan shuts off when the unit goes into defrost mode.  You might be just seeing the fan off while it is in defrost or there is an issue with the defrost board if you never see the fan running while in heat mode.  Turn the heat on and see if the fan is running once the unit starts.

The fan motor or run cap could also be failing.  The fan could run for a short period of time, get hot then shut off.  Once it cools back down it will restart again and run until it gets hot.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert

I have been in the HVAC field for the past 18 years. I can help with most HVAC questions. I work on commerical buildings for the most part, and have yet to find anything I could not troubleshoot and repair, when repairable. I work on small 1 ton units to a 2500 ton chiller. Troubleshoot air flow, elect, and control problems. I attend regular classes to keep up with the latest and greatest.

I work on commerical sites, hospitals, gov't buildings. I can troubleshoot just about anything in the HVAC business.

5 years trade school, VFD training classes, Liebert factory training, some York and Trane factory training.