Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/CENTRAL AIR YSCONDITIONER & HEAT PUMP FOR RESIDENCE

Question
HI CHUCK...I AM GETTING A NEW A/C & HEAT PUMP SYSTEM IN STALLED IN MY HOME VERY SOON & WOULD LIKE YOUR ADVICE ABOUT WHICH BRAND TO PURCHASE.  I LIVE IN CENTRAL FLORIDA & USE THE AIR YEAR ROUND & THE HEAT ONLY A FEW WEEKS PER YEAR.  MY HOUSE IS 1440 SQ FT OF LIVING AREA & 2200 TOTAL UNDER ROOF & IT'S A ONE-STORY RANCH.  IT'S CONCRETE BLOCK.  MY CURRENT UNIT IS A RHEEM & 2&1/2 TON. I'D ALSO LIKE TO ADD AIR & HEAT IN MY GLASS ENCLOSED PORCH.  CAN THIS MAIN UNIT BE ADDED THERE AS WELL, OR WOULD IT COMPROMISE THE SYSTEM OR SHOULD I GET A MITSUBISHI MINI SPLIT FOR THAT AREA?  AN AIR CONDITIONER REPAIRMAN FRIEND SAID HE FEELS THE BRYANT EVOLUTION  (18 SEER) IS BEST.  PLEASE ADVISE ME OF YOUR OPINION.  THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME & EXPERT ANSWERS.   YOURS TRULY,  RENEE

Answer
Hi Renee,

More important than the actual brand is the contractor who actually installs the system. There are several factors to consider:

*How does this contractor rate with services like the BBB, Angie's List and The Good Contractor's list?

*How long have they been in business? Do they have references from recent customers that you can talk to?

*How thorough is the contractor? Are they going to inspect your ductwork? Will they do what is called a "heat load" on your house to make sure the unit they are replacing is the correct tonnage?

*Who is going to do the actual work of installing the new system? Will they actually be full-time employees of the company you hire, or will they be sub-contractors who do temporary work for the company? Hopefully, they will be employees of the company, and if so--how long have those workers been with the company and how long have they been installing systems?

As far as brand goes, there are several reputable brands to choose from. Primarily, which brand will offer you the best warranty? Lennox & Goodman amongst others offer 10 year warranties on parts along with lifetime warranties on compressors and heat exchangers. Many AC dealers will "recommend" a certain brand because that is what they carry. Can this contractor offer you several brands with a choice of decent warranties?

As far as mini-splits go, the best in the industry is Daikin without peer. I would go online and ask around about Daikin versus any other brand....it's better quality, offers a 12 year warranty, and will be price competitive with all the other brands.

Lots to think about....I hope this helps!

Chuck

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Chuck Best