Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/AC unit

Question
I recently bought a 40-year old home.  It has a central air conditioning unit that looks like it is about 25 years old (it's got a bit of rust on it).

My first electic bill of the summer was on the high side, and I don't think I used the AC all that much.  

Is a unit this old worth having serviced or are there enough efficiency gains to be had by purchasing a brand new unit?

Answer
Hi Paul, I would hold off getting a new system till we determine what condition your system is in. Can you send me the make, model number and serial number on the outside unit?

Is the AC cooling the house OK? Do you hear it cycling on and off? A simple test you can do is take a tempurture reading on the supply and return duct at the furnace.

Let me know what you find.

Also go outside and make sure the coil is clean on the condenser.  JIM  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim S.