Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Furnace

Hi Craig:

I have a 15 year old 2 stage electric heat pump HVAC system made by Carrier (see pic). The heat works fine but when I turn on the AC, I get cool air as if everything is working but after around 15-20 minutes I notice water leaking on the basement floor. At that point I turned it off. I can't tell if the drain hose is disconnected or if is something more serious. Trying to avoid getting ripped off. Any ideas? Thanks.

If you have not done so already, you need to clean out the drain line.  Figure out where the end of the drain line goes and use a wet vac to clean out the drain line.  You should also change the filter if you have not done so recently.    

If cleaning out the drain line does not fix it, then things will have to be checked out. It could be a cracked or rusted drain pan.  If the unit does not seem to be cooling very well, it could be freezing up and as the ice melts, it drips outside of the drain pan.  A dirty coil can also cause condensate to not make it in the drain pan.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert

I have been in the HVAC field for the past 18 years. I can help with most HVAC questions. I work on commerical buildings for the most part, and have yet to find anything I could not troubleshoot and repair, when repairable. I work on small 1 ton units to a 2500 ton chiller. Troubleshoot air flow, elect, and control problems. I attend regular classes to keep up with the latest and greatest.

I work on commerical sites, hospitals, gov't buildings. I can troubleshoot just about anything in the HVAC business.

5 years trade school, VFD training classes, Liebert factory training, some York and Trane factory training.