Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Furnace leak

Question
HVAC
HVAC  
QUESTION: Hi Jim:

I have a 15 year old 2 stage electric heat pump HVAC system made by Carrier (see pic). The heat works fine but when I turn on the AC, I get cool air as if everything is working but after around 15-20 minutes I notice water leaking on the basement floor. At that point I turned it off. I can't tell if the drain hose is disconnected or if is something more serious. Trying to avoid getting ripped off. Any ideas? Thanks.

Drain
Drain  
Drain
Drain  
ANSWER: Hi Kevin, Sounds like your primary drain line is clogged. When that happens you will get water out of the secondary drain. Most of the time installers don't pipe up the secondary. In the pic you can see the black and red connection for the drains. The lower one is the primary drain. Can you send me a pic of the furnace so I can see the drain pipe?

Furnace front
Furnace front  
QUESTION: Thanks for your help Jim. Here is a pic of the front of the furnace. I turned on the AC about 20 minutes ago and you can see the water leaking. Let me know if you need any additional shots and thanks again for your help.

ANSWER: Hey Kevin, thanks for the pic. I can see that the secondary drain still has the plug in it. The drain pan under the coil is over flowing thus the water on the floor. You will need to unplug the PVC drain line. Unpulging that line is going is going to tricky. If I was you I would replace it to make it easier to clean. I can help you with that if you decide to do that.

I would install a safety switch to let you know when it plugged up again.

Do you see any water around the condensate pump?

JIM

QUESTION: Hey Jim:

I think I may have had a "DUH" moment. When I followed the PVC drain pipe I realized that it connected to a port in my sump pump which has been disconnected for a while because I am finishing my basement and needed the outlet. I thought that the furnace was direct vented to the outside. I plugged the sump pump back in but it doesn't seem to be pumping out what is in the furnace reservoir. How do I get to the overflow to manually drain? Thanks.

Answer
Kevin, I think you found the problem. I would pull the PVC pipe out of the pump and see how much water is in it. The pump has a float in it. So if it's full of water and not running I would clean it out. Use some bleach and water in it.  Does the pump run to a floor drain or outside?

JIM

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim S.