Heavy Metal/Old metal bands

Dave Vikingr wrote at 2009-02-03 15:54:44
Black Sabbath were probably the first heavy metal band strictly speaking but others before them created heavy rock.  The Yardbirds were perhaps the first with some surprisingly heavy guitar work from Eric Clapton as early as 1964 (check out Good Morning Little Schoolgirl), and from Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page (yes him) a little later (try 'Still I'm sad', 'Got to hurry', 'Train kept-a-rollin', 'I wish you would', 'I ain't got you'and 'A certain girl'.

Then came Cream and Jimi Hendrix - heavy blues, in Hendrix's case very heavy!  These two bands were around from '66.

Check out the Immediate All Stars too - a who's who of early rock stars including Clapton (try the track 'Choker'

Also see John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - they did mainly blues but some got quite heavy, eg 'I'm your witchdoctor' again with Clapton.

Heavy rock (not just metal) from the mid 60s to mid 70s would include:-

Cream

Uriah Heep (their 1st album Very 'eavy, very 'umble) is indeed very heavy.

Led Zeppelin

Jimi Hendrix

Pink Fairies

Blue Oyster Cult

some Pink Floyd

Frijid Pink

Hawkwind

Black Sabbath

Guess Who

Thin Lizzy

Deep Purple

Argent

some Jethro Tull

Alice Cooper

some Jefferson Airplane

Nazareth

Wishbone Ash (some)

Santana

some Steppenwolf

Ashton, Gardner and Dyke

Atomic Rooster

Blue Cheer

Foghat

Focus

Gun (the 60s-70s band)

Iron Butterfly

Cozy Powell

Status Quo

Arthur Brown

Derek and the Dominoes

early Scorpions

Geordie

Queen

Juicy Lucy

Ram Jam Band

Golden Earring

early ZZ Top

MetalSoloist wrote at 2015-01-27 02:53:09
The original heavy metal band was and still is MotorHead and the original Metal artist is Lemmy Kilmister, period, closely followed by Sabbath.  All the other heavy metal bands were spawned and owe there carrears to both of them.  Furthermore, speed Metal has nothing to do with using drug use at all. It is a genre of heavy metal that is played extremely fast, particularly the lead guitar portion.  Think Yngwie Malmsteen when you are thinkinkg "Speed Metal. I am not sure who the expert is on this site, but he/she needs a little more education to truly be considered any kind of "expert" in metal history

MetalSoloist

MetalSoloist wrote at 2015-01-27 04:18:02

MetalSoloist

Heavy Metal

Steven Gibb