Hebrew Language/Question about a Jewish service and word

Is there a particular religious service or holy day where the Rabbi (or Biblical Priest) wore white vestments?

Does the word CHAD ( חד ) have any meaning?  I know Echad is biblical Hebrew for the one referring to God.  I thought I read that CHAD was Hebrew for Sharp or Aramaic for "one".  Would this work have any religious significance?  Could it be anyone's last name?

Toda raba.

Hi Steve,

You are correct in reference to chad. In Hebrew it means 'sharp', while in Aramaic it means 'one'.

We know that when the Temple was still the center of Judaism, the High Priest would enter the Holy of Holies on Yom Kippur wearing white vestments. Other than that, there is no particular requirement to wear certain vestments by Rabbis (although most prefer white vestments for Shabbat services).

All the best,

Hebrew Language

Ask the Rabbi

What I don't do: NO NAME TRANSLATIONS. For that, try

What I do: I'll help you understand Hebrew phrases or single words, as well as answer questions about Jewish customs and practices.

You may also try the Gooogle English-Hebrew translator, at

I am a columnist for a Hebrew-language newspaper, and a graduate of the Jewish Theological Seminary.

D.Med MBA BA in the US, Grade school and high school in Israel