Hebrew Language/Name pronunciation

Good morning.  I came across the Hebrew name Breindel which I read means blessing.  My husband and I just lost a baby through miscarriage but very much want to name this child.  This name very much appealed to us.  Can you possibly help me with the proper pronunciation?  I saw a lot when I searched online but know little about correct Hebrew pronunciation.  The one that seemed to be the most consistent was to pronounce it like "Brinn dell."  Is this correct?  I would very much appreciate your help with this.

Hi Kim,

Yiddish is a phonetic language, meaning that 'A' has the sound of 'Ah' and 'E' has the sound of 'Eh'. The correct pronunciation of Breindel is 'brain-del'.

Breindel is not a Hebrew name; it is a Yiddish name. The equivalent name in Hebrew is Brachah, wher the 'ch' sound is the same as the 'ch' in Loch Ness.

Best wishes,

Hebrew Language

Ask the Rabbi

What I don't do: NO NAME TRANSLATIONS. For that, try

What I do: I'll help you understand Hebrew phrases or single words, as well as answer questions about Jewish customs and practices.

You may also try the Gooogle English-Hebrew translator, at

I am a columnist for a Hebrew-language newspaper, and a graduate of the Jewish Theological Seminary.

D.Med MBA BA in the US, Grade school and high school in Israel