Hebrew Language/yiddish term ?


An Israeli friend of mine taught me the term "piztifkes" [or pitzifkes] as "small & not important stuff" but when I tried to reference it online, I could not find it anywhere. Will you please verify its English spelling and specific definition plus show it to me in Hebrew? Thank You

Hi Pamela,

The Yiddish term for 'small', as used in Israel, is Pitza'leh, פיצל`ה
I have never heard it pronounced as pitzifkes, but then, there are a number of regional Yiddish dialects and 'pitzifke' could be used in one of them.


Hebrew Language

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ask the Rabbi


What I don't do: NO NAME TRANSLATIONS. For that, try http://www.stars21.com/translator/english_to_hebrew.html

What I do: I'll help you understand Hebrew phrases or single words, as well as answer questions about Jewish customs and practices.

You may also try the Gooogle English-Hebrew translator, at http://www.google.com/dictionary?langpair=en%7Ciw&q=&hl=en&aq=f


I am a columnist for a Hebrew-language newspaper, and a graduate of the Jewish Theological Seminary.

D.Med MBA BA in the US, Grade school and high school in Israel

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]