Hebrew Language/Exodus 23:18

Question
Follow-up to my question the other day.  I see the NIV translates the verse, "Do not offer the blood of *a* sacrifice to *me* along with anything containing yeast," in contrast to KJV's "My sacrifice."  Can you expand a little bit on the Hebrew behind these (admittedly small) differences in interpretation?

Thanks for your time.

Answer
לֹא-תִזְבַּח עַל-חָמֵץ, דַּם-זִבְחִי

Is literally translated to:

You shall not sacrifice [verb] on Chametz*, the blood of my sacrifice [noun].

The NIV translation: "Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast" is one way to interpret "my sacrifice" as "a sacrifice to me". It makes much sense because this is the meaning of "my sacrifice" - a sacrifice made to God, not one made by him. The translation of Chametz to "anything containing yeast" is not very accurate though.

The KJV translation: "Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread" is more literal.

*"Chametz" is leavened food (not only bread). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chametz.

Hebrew Language

Inbar