Hebrew Language/Spirit and Hell

A friend of mine believes that we do not have spirit and hell does not exist.  He has been told that hell does not exist because of the Hebrew word sheoul.  I have read the word "nefesh" in the Hebrew bible that means spirit?  Could you please direct me in the scriptures and the words to prove that what he has been taught is wrong?  Thank you

I don't see the connection between the Hebrew word sheoul - which means "the underworld" and the word "nefesh", which means soul.

The first appearance of "sheoul" in the Hebrew Bible is in Deuteronomy 32:22 -

כִּי-אֵשׁ קָדְחָה בְאַפִּי,  {ר} וַתִּיקַד עַד-*שְׁאוֹל* תַּחְתִּית;  {ס}  וַתֹּאכַל אֶרֶץ וִיבֻלָהּ,  {ר} וַתְּלַהֵט מוֹסְדֵי הָרִים.  {ס}

You can compare all the different translations here:

The first appearance of "nefesh" in the Hebrew Bible is already in Genesis 1:20 -

וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים--יִשְׁרְצוּ הַמַּיִם, שֶׁרֶץ *נֶפֶשׁ* חַיָּה; וְעוֹף יְעוֹפֵף עַל-הָאָרֶץ, עַל-פְּנֵי רְקִיעַ הַשָּׁמָיִם.

Hebrew Language

Any question related to the Hebrew Language - English to Hebrew translation and vice versa, Hebrew grammar, "Niqqud" vowels, pronunciation, etc.

Native speaker, good translator, amateur editor.

Hebrew University M.Sc.