Hebrew Language/hebrew verbs

Question
This should have been a followup, but I missed the link.
What I do not seem to be able to get straight is what makes a verb fall into 1 binyan or the other. And when conjugating a particular verb the verb may or may not follow the binyan vowels. For ex, in past tense binyan vowels are those in masc 3rd person. But other persons may differ substantially from the model. What is it that causes those differentiations. I don't mean the endings that indicate the person, but the internal vowels.
Thanks

Answer
Hi Moshe,

The same root can be used in several binyanim, changing the meaning of the verb. The way to figure it out is to look the word up in a dictionary, using the binyan you think is right in male-past-singular form.

Here's an example using a random root - לקח

male-past-singular form in binyan פעל is לקח - meaning took.
male-past-singular form in binyan התפעל is התלקח - meaning caught fire.

Once you figure out what binyan is correct for the meaning you're after, the construction of the verb is similar in most cases - the first letter of the root replaces "פ", the second letter replaces "ע" and the third letter replaces "ל". Very simple and straightforward.

However, as expected, there are many irregular roots. Here's a useful guide:
http://lib.cet.ac.il/pages/item.asp?item=13746

Hebrew Language

Inbar