Hedgehogs/7 weeks dying baby hedgies :(

I bred my momma hedgehog with another all went well and i ended up having to take them away from their mother at 4 weeks. i have 2 girls, they are now on their 7th week and one past away last night theyve been being fed baby formula in small amounts ive been trying to wean them off that and more onto mushed up cat food, but the one baby girl who is still alive and slightly eatting has a lot of symptoms that makes me worried shes dying
-not open and squinty eyes
-smells like dead rodent (no mattter how many baths she gets)
-not as active
-verryyy wobbly
-not eatting well
-odd scabbs on her quills

im really hoping i can help her i dont want to see another one die. please help !! :(

Hi, Yvette:

I don't know much about babies.  The best thing you can probably do is take your little girl to a vet familiar with hedgehogs.  I think breeders I've spoken to say they syringe-feed puppy formula.  Is that what you used?

You could also try researching the internet or joining a hedgehog online bulletin board like hedgehog_help on Yahoo.

I'm sorry I don't have any other ideas for you.

Good Luck & Hedgie Blessings,

Laurel Sedgwick

Can answer care, health, & behavioral questions, as well as basic breeding questions. Can help questioner figure out if a hedgehog is the right pet for them.

Have had hedgehogs since 2001 - 16 so far. I have no experience with non-weaned babies, and limited experience with breeding and with pregnant hedgehogs. I have had too much experience with WHS (Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome). I would rate myself "expert" at syringe-feeding, and as "advanced" at performing SubQs. Two of my hedgehogs have injured an eye to the point that it had to be surgically removed. I have had a lot of hedgehogs who suffered from cancer, some who had surgery and some who didn't. Some of my quilly kids have had abcessed teeth; one guy lost all of his teeth but one! I have had multiple female hedgehogs who suffered from bleeding, who had to have surgery for uterine cancer, which was in most cases successful. Temperamentally, I have had very timid hedgehogs, persistently grumpy hedgehogs, biting hedgehogs, and very friendly hedgehogs whom I took with me as "ambassadors" for educational presentations.

I am a Certified Judge for the IHA, and run a rescue station for the HWS. My application to be a rescue station for the IHA is pending.

I read everything I can get my hands on. Have read the best of the books, Dawn Wrobel's THE HEDGEHOG and Tig M-Burleson's THE HEDGEHOG PRIMER. I am a member of the International Hedgehog Association (IHA) and Hedgehog Welfare Society (HWS), and have been a member of various online bulletin board groups since 2002.
I have attended many hedgehog shows and have served as a judge in IHA conformation shows.