Hedgehogs/Hedgehog rubs his nose raw

I woke up this morning and found my hedgehog had rubbed his nose raw and left alot of blood on his cage. He was very cold and not really moving alot, so I put him in his bag and held him to warm him up.  After about 30-45 minutes he was warm and eating and drinking again.

I am taking him to the vet later today, but I am wondering why he his doing this and how can i get him to stop.

Hi, Laci:

I think you're doing the right thing.  It sounds like your hedgehog attempted to hibernate, which can be very serious in an African hedgehog, because their bodies really don't remember how to do that.  At this point, I am more worried about the hibernation attempt that about the nose-rubbing.

Is it possible his nose got bloody because of an accident? Could he have caught himself on his wheel or tried to get out of his cage or something else?  I don't see why oncoming hibernation would make him do that.

Ask the vet; I'm stumped on this one.  I hope your little guy heals up quick and does not repeat the behavior

Hedgie Blessings,

Laurel Sedgwick

Can answer care, health, & behavioral questions, as well as basic breeding questions. Can help questioner figure out if a hedgehog is the right pet for them.

Have had hedgehogs since 2001 - 16 so far. I have no experience with non-weaned babies, and limited experience with breeding and with pregnant hedgehogs. I have had too much experience with WHS (Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome). I would rate myself "expert" at syringe-feeding, and as "advanced" at performing SubQs. Two of my hedgehogs have injured an eye to the point that it had to be surgically removed. I have had a lot of hedgehogs who suffered from cancer, some who had surgery and some who didn't. Some of my quilly kids have had abcessed teeth; one guy lost all of his teeth but one! I have had multiple female hedgehogs who suffered from bleeding, who had to have surgery for uterine cancer, which was in most cases successful. Temperamentally, I have had very timid hedgehogs, persistently grumpy hedgehogs, biting hedgehogs, and very friendly hedgehogs whom I took with me as "ambassadors" for educational presentations.

I am a Certified Judge for the IHA, and run a rescue station for the HWS. My application to be a rescue station for the IHA is pending.

I read everything I can get my hands on. Have read the best of the books, Dawn Wrobel's THE HEDGEHOG and Tig M-Burleson's THE HEDGEHOG PRIMER. I am a member of the International Hedgehog Association (IHA) and Hedgehog Welfare Society (HWS), and have been a member of various online bulletin board groups since 2002.
I have attended many hedgehog shows and have served as a judge in IHA conformation shows.