as of tonight i found my dear sancho limping, i observed and saw that his big toe in his right foot is swollen. its a first time something like that happens hes three and a half.

im gonna try to bathe him and see whether hes got something stuck there but if theres nothing should i take him to the vet. im really worried...

Hi, Ariel:

Has Sancho ever had his nails trimmed?  If not, long nails might be causing him to limp.  The nails can grow right into the flesh of the toe, which you can imagine, is quite painful.

Usually, in the course of a bath, you can tell if this is the issue with the sore toe.  However,
since the toe is already sore, Sancho may not want you touching it or trying to clip it.  That would be the time to take him to the vet.

If the problem isn't an overgrown nail, I would take him to the vet, too, because I can't think what else it could be except an insect bite.

Much good luck.

Hedgie Blessings,

Laurel Sedgwick

Can answer care, health, & behavioral questions, as well as basic breeding questions. Can help questioner figure out if a hedgehog is the right pet for them.

Have had hedgehogs since 2001 - 16 so far. I have no experience with non-weaned babies, and limited experience with breeding and with pregnant hedgehogs. I have had too much experience with WHS (Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome). I would rate myself "expert" at syringe-feeding, and as "advanced" at performing SubQs. Two of my hedgehogs have injured an eye to the point that it had to be surgically removed. I have had a lot of hedgehogs who suffered from cancer, some who had surgery and some who didn't. Some of my quilly kids have had abcessed teeth; one guy lost all of his teeth but one! I have had multiple female hedgehogs who suffered from bleeding, who had to have surgery for uterine cancer, which was in most cases successful. Temperamentally, I have had very timid hedgehogs, persistently grumpy hedgehogs, biting hedgehogs, and very friendly hedgehogs whom I took with me as "ambassadors" for educational presentations.

I am a Certified Judge for the IHA, and run a rescue station for the HWS. My application to be a rescue station for the IHA is pending.

I read everything I can get my hands on. Have read the best of the books, Dawn Wrobel's THE HEDGEHOG and Tig M-Burleson's THE HEDGEHOG PRIMER. I am a member of the International Hedgehog Association (IHA) and Hedgehog Welfare Society (HWS), and have been a member of various online bulletin board groups since 2002.
I have attended many hedgehog shows and have served as a judge in IHA conformation shows.