Hedgehogs/my hedgehog

Hi Laurel, how are you?
I have a question about my hedgehog, i don't find any knowledgeable vet for hedgehogs in my area.

So, i found some quill lost in my hedgie cage, one or two at a time, but not always, i found him scratching himself. i've checked for mites but i found none.

Is it somekind of dry skin problem?

Thank you :)

Hi, Michelle:

You really need to find a vet, even if you have to travel.  Another option would be to call a vet who identifies him/herself as an exotics vet, and see if they will do a phone consult with one of your local vets. Here is a link to vets in Nevada:  
If it doesn't work, look up the list at the Hedgehog Welfare Society (HWS) site.

Mites are very difficult to detect with the human eye.  It doesn't help that the most common species is white in color.  A vet can test for them, or look through a microscope.  Also, if your boy really does have mites, they need to be treated ASAP.  Even a non-exotics vet should be able to do something as simple as a skin scrapping. Revolution is usally more effective for hedgies than Ivermectin. The dosage should be available to vets online or in a textbook.  I do not believe you can buy these medications without a prescription.

Itching and quill loss are both typical symptoms of mites.  But if it isn't mites, dry skin is another very likely culprit.  A warm bath and moisturing liquid baby soap is good, perhaps followed by a Vit E rinse.

Please keep me posted if you need more help.

Hedgie Blessings,

Laurel Sedgwick

Can answer care, health, & behavioral questions, as well as basic breeding questions. Can help questioner figure out if a hedgehog is the right pet for them.

Have had hedgehogs since 2001 - 16 so far. I have no experience with non-weaned babies, and limited experience with breeding and with pregnant hedgehogs. I have had too much experience with WHS (Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome). I would rate myself "expert" at syringe-feeding, and as "advanced" at performing SubQs. Two of my hedgehogs have injured an eye to the point that it had to be surgically removed. I have had a lot of hedgehogs who suffered from cancer, some who had surgery and some who didn't. Some of my quilly kids have had abcessed teeth; one guy lost all of his teeth but one! I have had multiple female hedgehogs who suffered from bleeding, who had to have surgery for uterine cancer, which was in most cases successful. Temperamentally, I have had very timid hedgehogs, persistently grumpy hedgehogs, biting hedgehogs, and very friendly hedgehogs whom I took with me as "ambassadors" for educational presentations.

I am a Certified Judge for the IHA, and run a rescue station for the HWS. My application to be a rescue station for the IHA is pending.

I read everything I can get my hands on. Have read the best of the books, Dawn Wrobel's THE HEDGEHOG and Tig M-Burleson's THE HEDGEHOG PRIMER. I am a member of the International Hedgehog Association (IHA) and Hedgehog Welfare Society (HWS), and have been a member of various online bulletin board groups since 2002.
I have attended many hedgehog shows and have served as a judge in IHA conformation shows.