Hedgehogs/Hedgehog weird skin

Hi, so I got my hedgehog Noodles about a week ago. She is female and 7 or 9 weeks old. Recently I discovered skin behind her rigt front leg where her fur looked a bit clumpy. At first I thought she probably anointed herself but on closer inspection it felt like a piece of loose skin that is a bit dry and flaky. It's looks too low for a quil to be growing there. I can almost hold the peace of skin between my finger tips and it doesn't seem to hurt her when  touching it.  Shoul I be worrie?

Hi, Clariska:

To get a definative answer, you really need to have her checked by a vet.  The loose skin could just be a minor variation from the usual skin "fit." That is probably what I would think. I doesn't sound like a tumor or a cyst or anything that needs (immediate) attention.

I would give your girlie a bath in a soothing shampoo, followed by some Vit E oil, for the dry, flaky area of the skin.

Wish I could offer more.

Hedgie Blessings,

Laurel Sedgwick

Can answer care, health, & behavioral questions, as well as basic breeding questions. Can help questioner figure out if a hedgehog is the right pet for them.

Have had hedgehogs since 2001 - 16 so far. I have no experience with non-weaned babies, and limited experience with breeding and with pregnant hedgehogs. I have had too much experience with WHS (Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome). I would rate myself "expert" at syringe-feeding, and as "advanced" at performing SubQs. Two of my hedgehogs have injured an eye to the point that it had to be surgically removed. I have had a lot of hedgehogs who suffered from cancer, some who had surgery and some who didn't. Some of my quilly kids have had abcessed teeth; one guy lost all of his teeth but one! I have had multiple female hedgehogs who suffered from bleeding, who had to have surgery for uterine cancer, which was in most cases successful. Temperamentally, I have had very timid hedgehogs, persistently grumpy hedgehogs, biting hedgehogs, and very friendly hedgehogs whom I took with me as "ambassadors" for educational presentations.

I am a Certified Judge for the IHA, and run a rescue station for the HWS. My application to be a rescue station for the IHA is pending.

I read everything I can get my hands on. Have read the best of the books, Dawn Wrobel's THE HEDGEHOG and Tig M-Burleson's THE HEDGEHOG PRIMER. I am a member of the International Hedgehog Association (IHA) and Hedgehog Welfare Society (HWS), and have been a member of various online bulletin board groups since 2002.
I have attended many hedgehog shows and have served as a judge in IHA conformation shows.