Hedgehogs/Hedgehog constipation

My hedge developed a large belly last night and I know he's severely constipated. I looked up everything, but is there any advice you can give me that I can do besides a hot water bath or pumpkin?
Thank you,

Hi, Kat:

Sorry to hear your quilly kid is stopped up.  The best place to get further info and help would be your vet's office.  The constipation could be a sign of a more serious illness.  

That said, you are doing what I would do.  I might add giving him a belly massage (from chest downward to rectum) with a warm wet cloth during his bath, as this is what hedgehog mommies do (w/ their tongues!) to get their little ones started on voluntary pooping.  And don't make the bath real hot; just a bit hotter than the slightly-warm of a normal bath.

As an adjunct, I would suggest you join the yahoo group hedgehogwelfare:
Other list members may have additional ideas for how to treat constipation.

Good Luck & Hedgie Blessings,

Laurel Sedgwick

Can answer care, health, & behavioral questions, as well as basic breeding questions. Can help questioner figure out if a hedgehog is the right pet for them.

Have had hedgehogs since 2001 - 16 so far. I have no experience with non-weaned babies, and limited experience with breeding and with pregnant hedgehogs. I have had too much experience with WHS (Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome). I would rate myself "expert" at syringe-feeding, and as "advanced" at performing SubQs. Two of my hedgehogs have injured an eye to the point that it had to be surgically removed. I have had a lot of hedgehogs who suffered from cancer, some who had surgery and some who didn't. Some of my quilly kids have had abcessed teeth; one guy lost all of his teeth but one! I have had multiple female hedgehogs who suffered from bleeding, who had to have surgery for uterine cancer, which was in most cases successful. Temperamentally, I have had very timid hedgehogs, persistently grumpy hedgehogs, biting hedgehogs, and very friendly hedgehogs whom I took with me as "ambassadors" for educational presentations.

I am a Certified Judge for the IHA, and run a rescue station for the HWS. My application to be a rescue station for the IHA is pending.

I read everything I can get my hands on. Have read the best of the books, Dawn Wrobel's THE HEDGEHOG and Tig M-Burleson's THE HEDGEHOG PRIMER. I am a member of the International Hedgehog Association (IHA) and Hedgehog Welfare Society (HWS), and have been a member of various online bulletin board groups since 2002.
I have attended many hedgehog shows and have served as a judge in IHA conformation shows.