Hedgehogs/Food change

I just got my baby hedgie 2 weeks ago and I ran out of food before I could get new food....I was planning on duplicating the breeder's food but when I went to the pet store they did not have the right brands!  I had to get different food for my hedgie and now I am really worried...

I fed him before I left for work and he ate it no problem, so I do not think he is going to go on a hunger strike.... but is there anything else I should be worried about?

Hi, Courtney:

An abrupt change in food can be problematical, but you're over the first hurdle, since your little quill-kid is eating it.  

If you have your breeders phone #, I would call or text them to ask what kind of food they were feeding (unless you already know), and where to get it.

The standard procedure when switching food is to do so gradually, adding a little larger proportion of the new stuff each day until he's on the food (or food mix) that you want to feed him. You can find numerous opinions about what to feed, since scientists don't really know. As an insectivore, your little guy will love bugs, esp. mealworms. Let him grow into live foods.

An abrupt food transition can cause hedgies some tummy or waste problems. A little green poo is common; you don't need to worry about it if there's only a little and the hedgehog shows no other symptoms.  But I would take him to the vet if he seems sick.  Babies are quite fragile and can go downhill very fast.

Good Luck &

Hedgie Blessings,

Laurel Sedgwick

Can answer care, health, & behavioral questions, as well as basic breeding questions. Can help questioner figure out if a hedgehog is the right pet for them.

Have had hedgehogs since 2001 - 16 so far. I have no experience with non-weaned babies, and limited experience with breeding and with pregnant hedgehogs. I have had too much experience with WHS (Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome). I would rate myself "expert" at syringe-feeding, and as "advanced" at performing SubQs. Two of my hedgehogs have injured an eye to the point that it had to be surgically removed. I have had a lot of hedgehogs who suffered from cancer, some who had surgery and some who didn't. Some of my quilly kids have had abcessed teeth; one guy lost all of his teeth but one! I have had multiple female hedgehogs who suffered from bleeding, who had to have surgery for uterine cancer, which was in most cases successful. Temperamentally, I have had very timid hedgehogs, persistently grumpy hedgehogs, biting hedgehogs, and very friendly hedgehogs whom I took with me as "ambassadors" for educational presentations.

I am a Certified Judge for the IHA, and run a rescue station for the HWS. My application to be a rescue station for the IHA is pending.

I read everything I can get my hands on. Have read the best of the books, Dawn Wrobel's THE HEDGEHOG and Tig M-Burleson's THE HEDGEHOG PRIMER. I am a member of the International Hedgehog Association (IHA) and Hedgehog Welfare Society (HWS), and have been a member of various online bulletin board groups since 2002.
I have attended many hedgehog shows and have served as a judge in IHA conformation shows.