Hedgehogs/male hedgehog discharge question

hello! i have a two year old male. I noticed today that he had some brownish gunk in his penis, which didn't seem to be semen. And in general his penis was less "knob like" a little off. a little more sunken in. it didn't look red or enflammed. and he seems to be fine, no pain or anything when I was cleaning the area. I think as he's gotten older he's gotten a little fatter than his younger spry self, but nothing I'm concerned about. should I be concerned about this? or am I being paranoid.

thank you so much!

Hi, Caitlin:

I'm not a vet and that would be the place to go if you grow more concerned. But based on what you say, I would not expect your guy to be having trouble with his penis.  The brown stuff is probably just some semen that got stuck in there for a while. Can you remove the gunk with a moistened q-tip?

I think maybe you're being a little bit paranoid, but that never hurts with hedgehogs, seeing that they are quite fragile.

Just keep an eye on the area (as I'm sure you will, as a good hedgie mommy)!

If there are other developments, feel free to write again.

Hedgie Blessings,

Quilly Gardens
Rescue & Education

Laurel Sedgwick

Can answer care, health, & behavioral questions, as well as basic breeding questions. Can help questioner figure out if a hedgehog is the right pet for them.

Have had hedgehogs since 2001 - 16 so far. I have no experience with non-weaned babies, and limited experience with breeding and with pregnant hedgehogs. I have had too much experience with WHS (Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome). I would rate myself "expert" at syringe-feeding, and as "advanced" at performing SubQs. Two of my hedgehogs have injured an eye to the point that it had to be surgically removed. I have had a lot of hedgehogs who suffered from cancer, some who had surgery and some who didn't. Some of my quilly kids have had abcessed teeth; one guy lost all of his teeth but one! I have had multiple female hedgehogs who suffered from bleeding, who had to have surgery for uterine cancer, which was in most cases successful. Temperamentally, I have had very timid hedgehogs, persistently grumpy hedgehogs, biting hedgehogs, and very friendly hedgehogs whom I took with me as "ambassadors" for educational presentations.

I am a Certified Judge for the IHA, and run a rescue station for the HWS. My application to be a rescue station for the IHA is pending.

I read everything I can get my hands on. Have read the best of the books, Dawn Wrobel's THE HEDGEHOG and Tig M-Burleson's THE HEDGEHOG PRIMER. I am a member of the International Hedgehog Association (IHA) and Hedgehog Welfare Society (HWS), and have been a member of various online bulletin board groups since 2002.
I have attended many hedgehog shows and have served as a judge in IHA conformation shows.