Help with College & Grad School Applications/What should I opt for after masters?

Hello Karen,

I'm a post graduate student from India,and on the way to complete my Masters in Computer Application (M.C.A) from an accredited university with a good score of CGPA : 7.34 / 10.

Also I'm looking forward to get a good international degree from United States which will give me an international platform to get a good job in any MNC.

But after completing Masters from India I'm a bit confused about which course do I opt. From my perspective I look forward for either MBA with Finance/Information Technology(IT), Any dual degree which is relating to IT field and MBA respectively, or PhD in any IT field.

Thank you for your help.

Dear Utsav,

This is a complicated question.  I strongly suggest that you start researching the major companies or organizations where you might eventually like to work.  Simply look at the jobs they have posted as they will always list the degree they require for the position.  Many of the top companies will pay you, as an employee, to purse a degree while you work for their company.  By knowing the job descriptions for the jobs you want to one day work, you can THEN structure your education planning toward that goal.  Technology is a broad field.  You mention MBA, Phd, Finance/Tech.  These are all very different and the people with these degrees do very different things from one another.  Phd's are not as competitive in the job market as the business degrees, but here, in the US, there are many unemployed MBAs.  Straight technology degrees with the harder sciences tend to be more in demand, so much so that the US State Department has opened up work visas for people with those technical skills.  

Wish I could give you an easy answer, but yours is a complicated question that can only be answered once you have some same job descriptions for the work you want to eventually want to do.

Help with College & Grad School Applications

Karen Dechman

As a Harvard graduate with almost 20 years of experience, I can accurately answer questions on how to be competitive in the admissions and scholarship process. I can also answer questions on achieving academic excellence in high school/college and how to obtain excellent internships for future employment success. You will need to visit the websites of the schools of your interest to learn the answers on specific questions, such as expected SAT scores or deadlines. I will not advise on athletic scholarships.

Since 1997, I have been helping students to reach their professional goals by helping them to understand how to successfully operate within high school and college environments. These environments have seen a dramatic change over the past twenty years, making them far more competitive. In turn, I have helped students learn how to shop their professors, create internships and identify extra-curricular activities that will distinguish them in both admissions and scholarship situations. I also work with military academy and graduate school applicants.

Harvard Club of DC, Board of Directors Harvard Club of Virginia, President US Holocaust Memorial Museum, Director of Research John Tyler Community College, Department Head, Student & Community Activities White House, Volunteer

East Carolina University, 1992 Harvard University, 1998