Help with College & Grad School Applications/Psychology Degrees

Question
I'm currently enrolled in the university of phoenix about to obtain my B.S. is psychology. I was curious if I went on to earn my masters in psychology from a non-APA accredited school if I could get into an APA accredited doctoral program? I see a lot of things about schools being accredited and non-accredited and my main concern is if I can go from one non-accredited school to an accredited school.

Answer
I must admit I am not a big fan on Phoenix.  School reputation can have a tremendous impact on your ability to be hired (or even interviewed) for a job.  I am far more concerned about your current path than I am about any masters or Phd you wish to acquire.  I would suggest that you start meeting with people who are holding the jobs that one day you would like to hold.  Ask them about their degrees, where they went to school and their training.  If you have unlimited funds and education is something you are doing to simply fulfill yourself, than I certainly don't want to discourage you on your path.  However, if you are trying to gain skills to make yourself competitive in the workforce, I strongly urge you to try to go to the most competitive university possible.  Consider transferring. Attend a school where job recruiters come to campus.  Attend a schools whose alumni are doing exciting work in your field.  Networking can be very important in finding a job.  

Also know that there are many new degrees associated with psychology that may yield you more opportunities than the straight Phd in psych.  There are PsyD that have a medical overtones, allowing people to write scripts.  There are lots of unemployed Phd's in pscyh.  Try to copy the educational and professional trajectory of those whom you most admire.  I am very sorry to be so negative, but I think you needed some honesty.  Universities are businesses which are out to make money through selling programs, regardless of how few jobs await those graduating from such programs.  Stick with accredited schools.  It certainly won't hurt you to stick with accredited schools, but it could hurt you if you do not.  Set up appointments immediately to meet with psych graduates from your current school (not the ones the school might recommend) as well as those people in the field that you consider successful and ask them what they would do differently. This is your chance to network, because if these employed people like you they can become mentors who help you find internships and jobs.

I like your forward thinking and I know with some good research (which you are doing) that you will find a profitable path.  

Help with College & Grad School Applications

Karen Dechman