Help with College & Grad School Applications/Masters in Education

Hi Jay! I am currently a college student about to enter into my junior year. I am a history major, and also a hard worker who has hopes of going for a masters in education after I graduate. I was wondering if you could give me a general overview of the steps I should begin taking to help reach this goal in the future. I'd like to teach high school history if possible. Furthermore, I was curious if you could give me some pointers about how I can stand out among the pool of applicants. I'm a hard worker, and my GPA right now is good (3.4), but I'm severely lacking on any extra extracurricular. I'm a bit nervous that if try to be more active in my schools activities and clubs, that my grades will suffer. Do graduate schools care more about someone with amazing grades, but little to stand out, or do they care more about an applicant with many extracurriculars but only a decent ? I'd appreciate any information you could give to me pertaining to these topics I have brought up, and I look forward to your response! Thanks a lot, and God Bless!!!

Hi, Kieran.

For a graduate program in education I don't think tons of extracurricular experience will be that critical. I'd focus on the strong GPA and a strong GRE score, if needed.

I don't mean to sidestep your questions but the answers to many of them can be found in my free GradTrack service, including a booklet on admissions and the personal statement and month by month instructions on what you should be doing.

Why don't you try that out and then let me know if you have further questions. Go to:

I hope that helps for now.

Help with College & Grad School Applications

Jay Cutts

Preparation for LSAT, GRE, MCAT, GMAT. Personal statements, letters of recommendation, graduate application process, practice tests. No Questions about Undergrad Admissions(unless you are planning to go to law, business, medical or grad school eventually). Note that I change private questions to public so they are available to others. If you have something that is truly private, let me know.

Over 19 years full time graduate entrance exam prep with over 1500 students nationally and internationally.

Barron's MCAT Prep Book, Lead Author

BA, Linguistics with Honors and Distinction, University of Michigan MA, Special Education with an Emphasis in Learning Disabilities and Giftedness, with Honors, University of New Mexico