Help with College & Grad School Applications/COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN ME A PHRASE OF AMERICAN ENGLISH?

Question
Could you please explain me what does it mean the phrase "TODAY WE PRESENT UNTO THE LEAST OF THIS.."? I had listen it to an audio-cassette entitled "THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD",taken from the chapter 25th of the Gospel second Mattew.
Eecuse me,but unfortunately i'm Italian and strive to improve my bad English,above all spoken American English.
I hope you will help me with my English.

Thank you.
         GIULIANO

Answer
Buon giorno, Giuliano.

The phrase you quoted is not American English. It is biblical English, which is based on a very old version of English that is not spoken by anyone today. I am guessing that the phrase is actually "Today we present unto the least of these ..."

The word "these" refers to something plural. In other words there are a number of things that must have been mentioned before but I don't know what they are.

The word "unto" would be simply "to" in modern English. So someone is presenting something to some other people. The "least" of them might mean the smallest, the least important, or something like that.

This is not my area of expertise, so please don't rank me on my response if it is not a good explanation.

Help with College & Grad School Applications

Jay Cutts