Help with College & Grad School Applications/letters

Question
At least two of the professors that I would request letters of recommendation from, are going to be retiring, probably before I apply to grad school.  They're also rather old, and not to be morbid, but they could pass away before I get a chance to ask.  

I know the letters are supposed to be written at the time of application but I'm afraid if I wait until then, it may be too late. I'm putting off grad school for one or two years.  In this case, what should I do?

Answer
Hi, Michelle.

I think you should go ahead and ask them to write a letter now. If they are still available when  you get closer to the application time, you could  have them rewrite or redate the letter.

If you are applying for Fall 2017 admissions, you'd need the letters in about a year, so that's not too far away.

If  you are still in school, I recommend that you cultivate a good relationship with some other professors so that they can write a more current letter if necessary.

I hope that helps.

Help with College & Grad School Applications

Jay Cutts