I would like to know how does the body compensate for hemorrhage? And if the human body can compensate for hemorrhage, why are wounds deadly?
Thank you for your answer.

Hello Jon,
Warm welcome to you!

When there is hemorrhage or blood loss, body tries to stop bleeding with the help of platelets and coagulation factors present in the blood. At the spot of injury platelet plug(platelets and mesh of fibrin) is formed this is called clot in layman's word. There are many chemicals and enzymes involved in the process which causes clotting/coagulation. The process is called coagulation cascade and you can get the detailed chemical reactions on the web. There are two pathways extrinsic n intrisic.

The blood lost during injury is compensated or recovred by body by drinking water(the fluid part of blood), and to regain the lost cells like RBC, WBC and platelets and plasma proteins, it requires time (from 1 - 2 months) and nutritious food. If hemorrhage is extensive then the patient may require blood transfusion.

Hemorrhages can be life threatening sometimes because the site of injury is large or the blood loss is too extensive so that the patient doesnt get time to recover and due to lack of blood flow to brain n heart he may experience sudden death. Or in other cases some major artery or vein is cut because of which the platelet plug formed is not so strong and gets broken because of blood flow. Also in cases where clot is formed there are chances that infectious agents getting entry through the site of injury and enter the circulation directly, resulting in systemic infection, which can be life threatening.

I hope I have cleared your doubt. For further queries you can mail  me : ugetshri.udayanidhi@gmail.com

Take care. Have a great day. Bye.  

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni

I can answer all questions related to hematology. RBC, WBC, Platelet and blood forming organs etc and related questions. hematology also includes blood proteins, hemoglobin and disorders related to clotting abnormalities. So questions about all aspects of hematology are welcome!

Working as a Doctor in Primary Health care Centre.

KIMS Banglore

MBBS, Internship in Internal Medicine