Hematology/hematological clearance

My daughter underwent a series of laboratory tests as a prerequisite for her employment. Everything was normal except for her neutrophils which were found to be at .39. which is lower than the normal range of .5 - .70.  They did the test a 2nd time and results yielded was the same.  Now, they require a "hematological clearance" from a different doctor in a different hospital.  What does a "hematological clearance" mean?  Thank you.

Hello Robert,
Warm welcome to you!
The neutrophiles are lowered in certain infections like influenza, typhus, tuberculosis. These disease can be contagious and can have high rate of mortality if they cause a pandemic. So during employment they will test the blood. Hematological clearance means a certified doctor should testify that the lowered neutrophile count is not due to any infection or does not pose a threat to co-workers, by conducting physical examination, consultation and if required some special investigations.

Hope that helps.

Take care. Have a great day. Bye.

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni

I can answer all questions related to hematology. RBC, WBC, Platelet and blood forming organs etc and related questions. hematology also includes blood proteins, hemoglobin and disorders related to clotting abnormalities. So questions about all aspects of hematology are welcome!

Working as a Doctor in Primary Health care Centre.

KIMS Banglore

MBBS, Internship in Internal Medicine