Hematology/Possible Hep-C Transmission Scenario Occured Today

Hello. I am hep c positive and have a three year old daughter.

Earlier today while moving out some old furniture, my daughter climbed up on an old arm chair, slipped, and snagged her leg on an exposed upholstery staple, resulting in a moderately deep wound. She was screaming at the top of her lungs which sent me into my own state of panic. My first instinct was to rush to the bathroom and clean the wound with soap and water in the sink before applying pressure with a clean cloth. The bleeding quickly stopped, we applied hydrogen peroxide, and a sterile bandage.

After the panic subsided and her and I were both calm, a terrible thought struck me.... "What if the pump on the liquid soap I used to clean her wound was contaminated with my blood?"

I am on my period today and regularly wash my hands with that liquid soap.

I know that risk of infection is at least remotely possible in this scenario and I am really flipping out.

How would you rate the risk of infection in this scenario from remote to likely, and do you suggest that I order a new hep c test for her? She has been tested in the past and was free from the virus at that time. Also, my viral load as of about 6 weeks ago was found to be around 8,000 (I was told this is very low.)

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Hello Miranda,
Warm Welcome to you!
Dont Panic! The chance of your daughter getting the Hep-C transmission is 0. There is no risk at all as you have cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide. So just relax.

Hope that helps!

Take care. Have a great day. Bye.

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni

I can answer all questions related to hematology. RBC, WBC, Platelet and blood forming organs etc and related questions. hematology also includes blood proteins, hemoglobin and disorders related to clotting abnormalities. So questions about all aspects of hematology are welcome!

Working as a Doctor in Primary Health care Centre.

KIMS Banglore

MBBS, Internship in Internal Medicine