Hematology/Reoccuring anemia

Hi as i have been placed on iron tablets after a poor diet i noticed that after i stopped taking the tablets after 2/3 months the iron level went down again? how long should i take the tablets for in order to not get anemia again? also i have not change in diet and my tests have returned normal including stool test

Sorry for the late reply! Had been out of station for attending a conference.
Normally iron deficiency due to lack of iron rich diet should be restored within 2-3 months of taking iron pills. And they do not recurrence of iron deficiency if a good diet maintained. Since you are telling me that all your tests are normal(I believe you did all the lab investigations I requested), I think the recurrence of iron deficiency could be due to following:

Treatment with too much aspirin or any NSAID
Chronic alcoholism
Atrophic gastritis

So please do me a favour by sending any other symptoms which you have noticed/ bothering you. Whether it seems relevant or irrelevant doesnt matter. Please do send any changes you have noticed.

Thanking you!

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni

I can answer all questions related to hematology. RBC, WBC, Platelet and blood forming organs etc and related questions. hematology also includes blood proteins, hemoglobin and disorders related to clotting abnormalities. So questions about all aspects of hematology are welcome!

Working as a Doctor in Primary Health care Centre.

KIMS Banglore

MBBS, Internship in Internal Medicine