Hematology/Reoccuring anemia and hair loss

QUESTION: Hi i had a crash diet around 4 years ago my doctor put me on iron tablets but then she told me to stop taking them after 3 months but she ignored the fact my serum ferritin was only 7 or 10 leading my iron levels to drop again and i noticed i was shedding more hairs than usual- will this hair grow back again?

also what level should i get my serum ferritin to so i can stop taking the tablets after that? because i want to get better and i am angry at my doctor for not telling me about this before

ANSWER: Hello Ali,
Warm welcome to you!
I guess you had mailed me once before also. Right?
Yes the hairs will go back once you overcome iron deficiency. You should bring ferritin level up to 80-100 ng/mL.

Did they tell you whats the cause for chronic iron deficiency? What all tests they have done?

Thanking you!

QUESTION: it was from a poor diet, should i continue to take the tablets till my serum ferittin reaches 80 since is it like 8? my normal ferritin is 50-60.

also when can i stop taking the tablets and my iron wont go down?

If the normal ferritin range given to you by lab is 50-60 then try to keep it above 55. You can stop iron supplements on achieving 55 ng/mL. But it can not guarantee that your levels wont go down. It all depends on your diet and underlying pathology for recurrent falling of ferritin levels. I believe you have not been diagnosed properly.

Thanking you!

QUESTION: Hi are you referring to my serum ferritin being 55? becuase my serum ferritin is really low it is like 8 but my hemoglobin is around 60.

since all my other tests are fine to be ths seems the only, i took the tablets for 3 months as told then exactly 3 months later it went down?

Thank you

you said in your last mail that the serum ferritin range given by your lab is 60. You hve written "should i continue to take the tablets till my serum ferittin reaches 80 since is it like 8? my normal ferritin is 50-60."

The normal internationally accepted range for ferritin 30 - 300 for males. 12-115 for females. Thats why i recommended you to atleast you should raise it upto 80-100 ng/mL so your iron level would not drop again and again.

Thanking you!

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni

I can answer all questions related to hematology. RBC, WBC, Platelet and blood forming organs etc and related questions. hematology also includes blood proteins, hemoglobin and disorders related to clotting abnormalities. So questions about all aspects of hematology are welcome!

Working as a Doctor in Primary Health care Centre.

KIMS Banglore

MBBS, Internship in Internal Medicine