Hematology/ITP

Question
Hello...My husband has ITP. Platelets are usually in the 20-25k range. He has a history of benzene and chemical exposure that we believe is the cause of this. He chooses no treatment, no prednisone. He does need to have IVIG if he has to have any type of surgical procedure, even if it's something minor.

Do you know if there is anything new that is forthcoming for treatment of this disease?

Thank you so much for any information.

Answer
Carol,
In some countries Rho(D) immunoglobulin injections are being used to treat ITP. Also Rituximab is used in ITP cases which do not respond well to conventional therapy. But ultimately splenectomy remains as an important treatment option.

Thanking you!

Hematology

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni