Hematology/Bloodwork

Question
QUESTION: What is the implication of Elevated Anti SS DNA, elevated sed rate, elevated C-reactive protein and imuglobulin e 3215. Normal is 100

ANSWER: Amy,
The lab results you have described above can indicate:
SLE
Rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's sicca syndrome, etc. Please tell the symptoms which you are having. Then I can  clinically co-relate and give you perfect diagnosis. But as of now It seems to me like Rheumatoid arthritis.

Thanking you!

***Dear AllExperts user, If you are satisfied with my service, please take your time to donate a little money for providing medical facilities and education to poor.You can donate as less as 1$ - 10$. Your little donation can save lives!! Please donate only if you are satisfied with the service and willing to help poor. I dont want to force you! Thanking you!
Go to my profile page and click Donate(via Paypal only)***

QUESTION: I had a pericardial effusion which required a liter of blood to be drained two years ago.  Three days later, fluid came back and my upper right chamber was collapsing.  I had a pericardial window. The biopsy of the window showed both chronic and accute inflamation- no infection, tb or cancer.  I have chronic sinus imflammation, frequent sinus infections, chronic post nasal drip (negative allergy testing), large amounts of very thick and stickly mucus.  I have a lot of fatigue, brain fog, severe osteoarthritis throughout my neck, occasional stiff knuckles, bone on bone in my knees and lately, I have had problems with dizziness and inermittent vertigo.  I have heat intolerance.  During the spring and summer, I break out in sweats when everyone else if comfortable.  I went through menopause 6 years ago.  The schrimmers test did show decreased tear production; however a salivary gland biopsy was normal.  My mouth is always dry as noted by doctors.  I use saline rinses with budesonide two to three times a day and sleep with a humidifier when the heat is on.  I get rashes on my arms and am often itchy. My rheumatoid factor was normal.  My compliments C-3 and C-4 are often elevated.  I have to take vitamin D 2000mg per day so that the levels don't plummet. I have been on plaquenil for a year. The plaquenil has greatly reduced the frequency of unexplained low grade fevers and has lowered my sed rate and c-reactive protein; however I am exhausted, feel generally unwell, push myself through a day at work with little energy to spare, have ongoing sinus issues, brain fog and am dizzy.

Answer
Amy,
I think its Lupus. Some of symptoms like dry mouth, chronic sinus inflammation, decreased tear production, brain fog etc point towards lupus only. Anyway Plaquenil works for both Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. So continue it.

Thanking you!

Hematology

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni