Hematology/Concerns about a recent blood transfusion

Question
Hello

I had a blood transfusion about 8 months ago and I've been concerned about it ever since. I was reassured that the blood was thoroughly tested for various diseases but I still worry because I keep reading stories about tainted blood and needles in various clinics and hospitals. My blood transfusion took place in the emergency room in an American hospital. My question is would I have been tested for diseases like HIV and hepatitis before or after my transfusion or would I need to go get tested for these diseases on my own?

Answer
Mark,
Blood banks follow the standard procedure and check the donor for HIV and hepatitis before collecting the blood. And the instruments used to establish IV line will all be new and sterile. So stop worrying. No need to test for HIV, HBsAg etc.

Thanking you!

Hematology

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni