Hematology/Saline bottle treatment for Pets.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr Kulkarni

Can Saline Bottle treatment be applied to Pets viz Cats, Dogs, Horses, Birds & Fishes?

Thanks
Prashant

ANSWER: Prashant,
I am not sure about birds and fish but cats, dogs horses can be given saline(not human saline). In case of fluid loss to recover rapidly saline would be used. But saline for humans is different its 0.9% NaCl. But this concentration may be different for animals depending on their composition of blood. One more thing is normal saline(eutonic saline) can be used to even clean/drain the wounds etc.

Thanking you!

QUESTION: Dear Dr Kulkarni

Thanks.

Can the Saline given to Pets be both Oral as well as injected?

Prashant

Answer
It depends on the need of the situation. In cases like diarrhea you can give orally but then it will be called ORS(oral rehydration solution/salts) in case fluid loss which has already made the patient blood pressure very low and patient has gone in shock then best to give IV saline.

Hematology

Dr.Shrinidhi Kulkarni