Hendrix, Jimi/Jimi Hendrix Research Paper

Question
Hi, Mr. Hawthorn. I'm a junior in high school, and I've been assigned a research paper on a revolutionary person from modern America, and the first person to come to mind was Jimi Hendrix, of course. Unfortunately, some information on Jimi is a bit difficult to dredge up, so I could use your help. I have just ten questions for you.

1.What events in Jimiís past would influence his work later in life?

2.How did those personal experiences influences change him or affect him later on?

3.Who influenced Jimi, in the music world or in his personal life, the most?

4.How did the person or people who influenced Jimi change him or his style?

5.Why is Jimi considered a revolutionary guitarist?

6.What are some notable achievements of Jimiís?

7.What affect did Jimiís music have on people? As in, what message did Jimi mainly try to get across through his music?

8.How did Jimi change the way the guitar is played?

9.What notable people did Jimi influence with his music?

10.With regards to the people Jimi influenced, how did their style reflect Jimiís?

Answer
Here we go:

I can't write your thesis for you of course but here are some notes to point you in the right directions for your research.

Being black in the USA. Listening to blues, R&B and rock 'n' roll on the radio. The death of his mother when he was a child. His Cherokee grandmother. Seeing Elvis. Parachute jumping.

All these experiences had repercussions on his art, in his lyrics and musical expression.

Jimi quoted his biggest influences as being the blues greats like Elmore James, BB King, Albert Collins, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Albert KIng, Freddie King,Ö He was also a big Dylan fan (he covered five Dylan songs) and also n his repertoire were songs by The Beatles, Cream, Elvis Presley, Eddie Cochran, Chuck Berry, Hanssen & Karlssen and Jordan Christopher & The Wild Ones (who released the original "Wild Thing" in the USA).

They inspired him. Gave him ideas. Only Jimi could really answer that. You can hear those influences in his playing. Elmore James, Steve Cropper, Hubert Sumlin, Curtis Mayfield, Albert King,Ö

Because he revolutionised the whole approach to the instrument. Before him, the guitar had never really soared in the same way as a lead instrument. He incorporated feedback and distortion into his playing for dramatic effect. He was also a brilliant rhythm player. He was such an original (despite the blues influences).

His revolutionising of electric guitar playing but also his excellent songwriting. Key songs: Purple Haze, Red House, Foxy Lady, Are You Experienced, Third Stone From The Sun, May This Be Love, Wind Cries Mary, Little Wing, If 6 Was 9, Bold As Love, Catles Made Of Sand, Voodoo Chile (Slight Return), All Along The Watchtower (Dylan), House Burning Down, 1983Ö, Gypsy Eyes, , Freedom, Angel, Hey Baby, Room Full Of Mirrors,Ö.
Machine Gun and Star Spangled Banner are often highlighted as being a couple of his most remarkable performances. I'd throw in "Hear My Train A Comin" from Berkeley (on the "Blues" album)

Jimi's music was and still  is very powerful and intoxicating for those who can understand its force and beauty. Jimi used to say that he just wanted to touch peoples souls. Read his lyrics for the messages. His later songs had more social commentary.

See the answer to point 5. Even the "guitar heroes" of the day (Clapton, Beck, Townshend,Ö) were gob-smacked by what he could do.

Just about any rock act that followed him. He also influenced blues and jazz musicians. The most obvious Hendrix-like artists would be Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Randy California,Ö

Those I listed would use Jimi's sonorities. Distortion, wah-wah pedal, fuzz,Ö

Hope this helps but it's difficult to resume these things with short answers. You need to read about him and listen to his music extensively.
Recommended books:

Crosstown Traffic: Jimi Hendrix and post-war pop - by Charles Shaar Murray
Hendix On Hendrix - Steve Roby (or Jimi Hendrix: Starting At Zero - His Own Story)
Jimi Hendrix: Musician by Keith Shadwick

For music guidance, check out my site then go to YouTube (everything is on there):
http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-orange.fr/contents.htm

Cheers

Jim

Hendrix, Jimi

James Hawthorn