Hendrix, Jimi/Tracks on

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
many years ago i've recorded a song of Jimi Hendrix from the radio which i've titled in my "database" as "Moon, turn the tides...gently, gently away".
But now i'm not shure that this naming is correct:
- The track has a length of appr. 10 minutes
- The (only) text in the 10 minutes is identical with the last strophe of "1983"
(SO DOWN AND DOWN AND DOWN AND DOWN WE GO
HURRY MY DARLIN' WE MUSTN'T BE LATE
FOR THE SHOW
NEPTUNE CHAMPION GAMES TO AN AQUA WORLD IS SO MY DEAR
RIGHT THIS WAY SMILES A MERMAID
I CAN HEAR ATLANTIS FULL OF CHEER
ATLANTIS FULL OF CHEER
I CAN HEAR ATLANTIS FULL OF CHEER)

Dear expert, could you please help me to identify the song and maybe to find out the Vinyl and/or CD which contains this song?
I love this piece of music very much and would try to get a track in good condition (my recording was a analogous one and hasn't a  good quality).
Thank you in advance
Holger

ANSWER: Hi Holger,

That is part of the suite "1983, A Merman I Should Turn To Be"/"Moon Turn The Tides...Gently, Gently Away" from Jimi's third album Electric Ladyland (now available on Sony Legacy).
Details on this page of my website:
http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-orange.fr/jimis.htm

Cheers

Jim

QUESTION: Hi Jim,
before i've raised my initial question i had "consulted" some CD selling sites which offer the possibility to play the tracks of a CD.
I've found a Sony CD "Electric Ladyland" but the track "1983,..." being part of that CD sounds fundamentally different to my record.
The record was converted to a mp3-version of 3,8MB by me.
Even if MP3 isn't a High-End-Quality the unique "spirit" of "my"
1983-version is obviously.
Do you see a chance to listen to my record?
Thank you
Holger

Answer
Hello again Holger,
Perhaps you have an outtake of "1983.../Moon...". The lyrics you quote are from "1983". In fact "Moon..." is only the last couple of minutes of groaning/tidal sounds.
You can send me the MP3 using the email link on the Contact page of my website.

Cheers

Jim

Holger, I received your MP3 sample and it is simply the second part of "1983.../Moon...".
You MUST buy Electric Ladyland without hesitation. The complete suite is on there and it is simply the greatest rock album of all time.

Here is a link to hear the whole suite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STqIt30wt2M

It must be said that the transition from "1983..." to "Moon..." was never really clear on the vinyl. On the CD however, "Moon..." is simply the final groaning, tidal noises (which is more logical).

Cheers

Jim  

Hendrix, Jimi

James Hawthorn