Herbs/Splitting Just Boughten Thyme

Question
Hi there,

I saw your post about splitting thyme; however, this seemed to be aimed towards a more mature one that had been growing two years. My question is this- if I buy a small (4 inch pot) of thyme at a gardening center, am I able to split it into a few smaller pots (2-4 one inch pots)?

Thanks

Answer
Jaclyn:
I am not familiar with this variety, but if it is a trailing variety, you can do the following:
Place plant in the center of a wide pot,at least 2" deep. Spread each branch outward on the soil and pin down with paper clip onto the soil. Give morning sun and keep slightly moist. It will start to obtain roots in about 3 weeks. Pull up on each branch slightly to see if they have rooted. If so, cut from mother plant and place in your small container.Don't over water and prune 1/3 from the top down on each branch every 3 weeks during growing season.

Leroy

Herbs

Leroy J. Wilton