Herbs/Container Plants

Question
Hello,

I currently have a fig tree in a container that has grown a large offshoot from the base of the plant. It has basically outgrown the main trunk of the tree, and the rest of the plant is growing much slower thanks to it.  It is quite a thick growth now, rivaling the main trunk in diameter. Is it possible to split it and root it? If so, how and when would it be best?

Another fig tree I have recently went into shot and the pot was tipped over, roots damaged, and its stem cracked.  It has now wilted, with no growth at all.  Its also taking water much more slowly. It has not dried out, as far as I can tell.  What kind of support should I give it to keep it alive and, hopefully, have it grow again?

Finally, I was wondering if you know if it was possible to grow ground cherries in pots indoor (year round), and the best way to go about this.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Best,
Lucian

Answer
I can't answer your fig question because I don't yet know enough about growing figs.

As far as the cherries, it depends what climate you are in, what type of cherries you want to grow, and how large of pot you have.  Sweet cherries are less hardy than pie cherries and so would be less likely to survive the winter.  If you are interested in pie cherries you may want to consider bush cherries which are a shrub that matures at 3 - 4' tall and would be easier to grow in a pot.
See my blog post on bush cherries: http://eatyourlandscape.blogspot.com/2011/08/bush-cherries.html

Herbs

Beuna Tomalino