Herbs/growing mint indoors

QUESTION: "I have a mint plant (grown indoors) that I purchased at a local grocery store.  It had nice big leaves and such to use.  But anytime new growth occurs (or I pinch some leaves off to use), the leaves are tiny.  it never grows large leaves again.  I've tried pinching off new growth so that it would fill in but that new growth is still tiny leaves.  This happens with every mint plant I've owned.  It has plenty of light (can it get too much light?) and water.  What am I doing wrong?  I never get to use my mint b/c its so small."

ANSWER: Rebecca:
Mint must be outdoors in full sun or semi-shade to grow well. It must be fed at least once every 3 weeks. Soil should be composted with good drainage. Prune the branches as soon as they reach 6".It normally returns each year,depending on how cold it gets. It must go dormant in the winter to return in the spring. You can grow it in a pot,8"-12" deep or in the soil. It will take over an area,so give it room to roam.

QUESTION: So there is no way to bring it indoors during the winter to have mint throughout the year?  I have it in a small pot (its a small plant at the moment and we rent so I can't plant anything in the ground).

Normally mint will not grow year round indoors. Even,outdoors it will go dormant with a few leaves. Place in a larger pot and place outdoors and harvest the leaves as they become available. Place leaves in a blender with some water,blend them and strain. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze. Place in zip lock bags. You will have your mint all year. Place a cube into cup for tea. You can also place a leaf into each cube for a stronger flavor.

Leroy J. Wilton

I have been growing herbs organically for 27 years. I have also written and self-published a book, "Herbman`s Journal".144+ pages of herbs that I have grown. Photo & short profile at the Smile Herb Shop on "you tube".Sign in "The healing herbs part 3A & 3B". My face book "the Herbman" You can request it from my e-mail.It is $28.95 with free shipping. 5517 Nome Ave., Balto..Md.21215. It is loose -leaf. A free "Herbman" t-shirt included while they last(large,X-large).It covers many names of herbs that I have grown, such as culantro,shadow bennie, recao de monte & 97 other names.

I have been growing herbs organically for 27 years. I have also written and self-published, loose leaf binder, "Herbmans Journal". 2008 is my last year at Smile Herb Shop. I plan to grow herbs in my small back yard and sell at David's Natural Store in Columbia, Md. on saturdays. I also will return to the Baltimore Herb Festival in May 2009(memorial day weekend).I used the word organically grown, but the state came into the picture and stated that I could not use the word unless I become certified & paid a $300.00 fee. I decided to add to my name (99% chemical-free) since nothing on this planet is 100%, except Jesus Christ, taxes & death. My customers were satisfied with this instead of paying a large fee and raising my prices,with no guarantee that it is organic except for a label.Their belief was in my word.

Book: "Find your calling,love your life" Martha Finney & Debra Dasch,98',(Simon & Schuster) page 42.