Herbs for Health/Nasal Polyps

Question
I have one nasal polyp which makes it impossible to breathe through my nose.  I try to stay away from prescribed drugs and go more natural. I was told by my holistic doctor to try Sinusin nasal spray.  It didn't seem to do much to shrink my polyp--it may help with keeping a polyp at bay--no info on this yet.  So, since the Sinusin spray didn't seem to work and I haven't breathed out of my nose clearly in over 6 months I decided to take my ENT's advice and use Methylprednisolone.  After the first day of doses I find myself really struggling to stay with it.  I'm diabetic and my blood sugars are not controllable while on it.  I am having other pains and adverse side effects as well.   I pushed it to 2 full days of treatment but although my nose is clearing I am not happy.  You aren't supposed to go cold turkey because that also has negative results.  Is there anything that you know of that will help shrink a nasal polyp that is natural?

Answer
Hi Rich,

Polyps are benign (noncancerous) growths of various sizes that are found on stalk-like structures growing from the epithelial linings of the large intestine, cervix, bladder, nose, and other structures. They are most common in the rectum and sigmoid colon, and usually occur in groups.

Nasal polyps usually form in the back of the nose, near the openings into the sinuses. They too can bleed and interfere with normal breathing.

Yes, prednisone is a tough pill to swallow.

NUTRIENTS

Try Betatene as directed on label. A mixture of beta-carotene and other carotenoids to protect the epithelial linings (mucus membranes) of body cavities.

Multivitamin and Mineral complex (as directed on label) plus extra calcium (1,500 mg daily) and magnesium. - 750mg daily. - Provides a balance of necessary nutrients.

Vitamin A - 25,000 IU daily. Protects the membranous linings. Use emulsion form for easier assimilation.

Vitamin C - 5,000-10,000 daily. In divided dosages. - Can reduce the number and size of polyps, and may eliminate them altogether.

HERBS

Aloe vera juice improves digestion and cleanses the digestive tract.

Cardamom, cayenne, cinnamon, ginger, green tea, and mustard seed are thermogenic herbs that improve digestion.

A high-fiber diet with no animal fats is important. Include in the diet apricots, broccoli, brown rice, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, cauliflower, garlic, oatmeal, onions, green pepper, sweet potatoes, sesame seeds, spinach, sunflower seeds, and whole grains. Fruits with edible seeds such as figs, raspberries, strawberries, and even bananas tend to contain lots of fiber.

Take some form of supplemental fiber daily. Barley, legumes, oat bran, or psyllium husks.

Be sure ti increase your water intake when increasing fiber.

Exclude from the diet fried foods, highly processed foods, caffeine, and alcohol. Do not use tobacco.

These suggestions should help.

Best wishes, Dennis

Herbs for Health

Dennis Leppanen