Herbs for Health/Histamine Levels.

My question is for my husband whom I'm trying to help.  He is 49 y.o. and is unable to stay asleep, early waking for about 2 years now.  His naturopath ran tests on his neurotransmitter levels recently, results below.  He currently is in pretty good health and does not take any prescription medications.  He wakes around 3-4 am and is up for the day at that point.  He is tired, and this is not enough sleep for him.  He is a software engineer and I'd describe him in general as "wired" most of the time.  Something I feel is notable, that the doctor says is of no importance is that my husband is always in some type of constant motion.  Knee bouncing up and down, etc. constantly while awake.  He does not consume caffeine in any amount.  (I forbid it.)

His histamine level came back at 41.8 and was flagged as High.  His GABA came back at 3.2 and was flagged as Low.  Also low at 160 was his DOPAC level.  

We cannot afford to keep going back to the doc to be given new things to try.  So we are going this on our own.  Currently I have him taking magnesium and GABA before bed.  So far they don't seem to be helping.  Am not sure where to go from here.  Could you suggest some supplements to avert this early waking and to calm his nervous system down so he can sleep at night.  He has NO trouble falling asleep since he is exhausted at night.

Thank you so much,

Hi Sandy,

I too suffer from bouts of insomnia. If I eat, exercise, relax properly I manage to sleep on a regular basis. Alas, life doesn't allow for deviations.

Calcium is important. I would take 1,500 - 2,000 mg daily, in divided doses, after meals and at bedtime. - Calcium has a calming effect.

Magnesium - 1,000 mg daily. Needed to balance with calcium and relax the muscles.

Melatonin - Start with 1.5 mg daily, taken two hours before bedtime. If this is not effective, gradually increase the dosage until an effective level is reached ( up to 5 mg daily). - A natural hormone that promotes sleep.

Vitamin B Complex. - As directed on label. - Helps to promote a restful state.

Hops, kava kava, passionflower, skullcap, and valerian root, taken in capsule or extract form, are all good for overcoming insomnia. It is best to rotate these herbs and take them before bedtime.

Catnip and chamomile are mild sedatives. Take these in tea form for a relaxing affect.

Avoid alcohol. A mild amount can help induce sleep initially, but it invariably disrupts deeper sleep cycles later.

Avoid tobacco and caffeine-containing drinks after lunch.

And again, remember to exercise daily.

Best wishes, Dennis

Herbs for Health

Dennis Leppanen

I can answer most questions on herb usage and and am very familiar with (gras) herbs, generally recognized as safe. I am very knowlegible in nutritional healing. I have extended education in detoxing the body and fasting for health. I believe in the Naturopathic belief, the body get sick in only two ways; either because it is too toxic, or it is malnurished. I grow, wildcraft, and make most of my herbal remedies.

Past/Present clients
Individuals, will furnish upon request